Over 50% of world population suffers from dandruff. They are easy to spot. Dandruffs are white flakes of dead skin on the hair and shoulders. They also make the scalp itchy. The condition is worse during winters. Here are some of dandruff tips to prevent dandruff, treat dandruff and to learn about dandruff.
Do bald people get dandruff?
Dandruff are formed from the dry skin. However, they are formed at the base of the hair follicles. People who are bald do not have hair follicles. Their hair follicles die and hence they cannot grow hair.
Is dandruff a fungus?
Dandruff is not fungus. It is caused due to the presence of a naturally occurring fungus on the scalp called the Malassezia globose. This fungus creates imbalances between yeast and bacteria causing more dead cells. These cells are the white flakes called dandruff.
What is the difference between dry scalp and dandruff?
Dry scalp occurs when it does not have enough oil. People with dry skin are more to dry scalp. Also, people who wash their hair excessively, who have skin conditions like eczema have dandruff.
On the other hand, dandruff occurs when the drying of scalps increases or speeds up. The dandruff flakes are actually the dead dry cells of the scalp.
What are the effects of dandruff on the face?
- The skin between the eyebrows become dry and scaly
- The skin in the corners of the nose also become scaly
- Some dandruffs cause itchy pimples on the face. They may spread to the neck, chest and upper back
- Red skin behind the ears is common.
- When the face has effects of dandruff the following care is needed
- The skin becomes sensitive and requires gentle care
- Don’t use harsh soaps as the scaly skin might become irritated.
- Avoid anti – aging products as they will cause inflammation in the affected areas.
- Use mild products that do not irritate the skin
- Use cleansers that control yeast
Ways to get rid of acne due to dandruff
- Use a good anti – dandruff shampoo
- Apply conditioners after shampooing. Make sure to start applying the conditioners a little away from the scalp and only on the hair.
- Keep the hair off the face. This is because it can cause pimples
- A hot oil massage once a week. This improves blood circulation to the scalp.
- Wash the face regularly
- Lime juice has anti- bacterial properties. Apply lime juice on the scalp and leave it for 20 – 30 minutes. Wash in lukewarm water.
- Avoid using products meant for hair styling. This will make the hair oily or dry. Oil clogs the hair follicles and trickle to the face through the hair. Dry hair attracts more dandruff.
Does excessive sweating cause dandruff?
Yes. Sweating dries the scalp leaving salt deposited on the scalp. This makes the scalp dirty. The dirt clogs hair follicles. This leads to itchy scalp and building up of dry skin and ultimately leading to dandruff.
Dos and Donts to fight dandruff
- Do know the difference between dry scalp and dandruff. This is necessary to treat the problem
- Do shampoo regularly. This helps to prevent dirt accumulation that clogs the hair follicles increasing the dandruff
- Do try home remedies
- Don’t think dandruff is contagious. Many think it is formed due to a fungus in the scalp. This fungus is present on the scalp of every human being.
- Don’t scratch the scalp. It might lead to inflammation
- Never leave the hair wet. Wet hair is more prone to damages. Also, the accumulation of dampness with sweat encourages itchiness when the hair is drying.
Is dandruff a permanent condition?
Yes. There is no cure for dandruff. Whenever the dryness in the scalp increases, dandruff flakes reoccur. Therefore, the only way is to prevent dandruff by moisturizing the scalp well. Also, wash the hair frequently to prevent accumulation of dirt. Read more about dandruff tips and how to prevent dandruff here.
Home remedies to get rid of dandruff
- Neem and olive oil – Crush the neem leaves into powder. Mix the powder and olive oil to form a paste. Apply the paste on the scalp. Leave it for an hour and wash it with warm water. This can be done in the morning for better results. One can shampoo the hair normally after applying it. As neem leaves have anti – bacterial properties, anti – inflammatory properties and anti – fungal properties they treat dandruff well. Some may find the scalp to be itchy when the paste is applied
- Coconut and honey – Add coconut oil, olive oil, honey and yogurt. Mix them to form a paste. Apply the paste and gently massage the scalp. Rub it from the roots to the tip of the hair. Leave for an hour and wash the hair with normal shampoo. How does this work?
- Coconut preserves hair proteins
- Honey has anti – microbial properties removing dandruff
- Don’t shampoo twice as it will remove the effect of coconut on the scalp.
- Aspirin – Crush the aspiring tablets. Mix the powder with shampoo. Use this mixture to shampoo the hair as usual. This works great because aspirin has salicylates that treat dandruff
- Lemon and baking soda – Mix equal quantities of lemon and baking soda. Apply on the scalp. Wash after 10 minutes. Do not leave the paste on the hair for longer time as lemon is a cooling agent, it might cause cold or fever. Baking soda reduces the fungal action that are responsible for the dandruff
- Mouthwash – Wash the hair with shampoo. Then wash it with mouthwash mixture. As the mouthwash has anti – fungal properties, it prevents the growth of yeast.
- Banana and apple cider vinegar – Mix the two and make them into a thick paste. Apply the mixture and massage the mixture to the scalp. Leave for 20 minutes and wash the hair with shampoo. Bananas are excellent sources of vitamin – B. Hence it helps to improve circulation. Vinegar is a fungicide and hence treats dandruff.